Saturday 12 March 2016

Crunchy shortbread biscuits

These are gorgeous.  They are shortbread but I roll them out quite thin so they go crunchy rather than soft.  If you prefer soft you just roll them out thicker but you won't get so many biscuits.

I can't remember from where or who this came but if any of my readers lived in Nairobi in the 1970s, you probably gave this recipe to me and thank you very much because I have used it a LOT over the years.
This is what I used - the purple size, but they are lovely cut out with the tiniest cutter - you get loads and they are perfect for little hands.

I might have posted this before but it will have dropped a long way down so here it is (again).

Ingredients
2 1/2 ozs plain flour
1/2 oz corn flour
1 ozs margarine or soft butter 
1 ozs caster sugar


Method
Heat the oven to 145C (Fan)


Put all ingredients into a bowl.  Knead until they all come together and form a soft dough.  Roll out on a floured surface until the desired thickness.
Cut out using a biscuit cutter - I use a flower shaped one as it seems just right for the taste!  You can re-roll and re-cut so no need to waste anything.
Prick holes in each biscuit and transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment or a teflon sheet.
Bake for around 15 to 20 mins until pale golden.
Cool on a wire rack and sprinkle caster sugar over.

When completely cold, transfer to an air tight tin.

You can jazz them up by adding lemon/lime/orange zest or a favourite spice.  I gather you can add dried fruit like currants, but I haven't tried that.  You can drizzle over chocolate or icing.

They make enough biscuits for one to enjoy for a few days!  The recipe is easily doubled.


2 comments:

  1. Going to make these tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like them as much as I do. :-)
    J x

    ReplyDelete