Monday 30 November 2015

Good for a cold.

Jack Monroe recently posted a recipe for a comfort drink.  Mine's less sophisticated and less natural, but it has been lovely and helpful this weekend so I thought I would share.

You need:
2 dispersible aspirin tablets (I always get the cheapest generic tablets I can find - supermarket own brand or Aldi!) and as little cold water as you can get away with
a good squeeze of lemon juice (from a bottle)
two good tsps honey - I use the cheapest I can find for cooking, etc
some boiling water
a mug and a spoon

Dissolve the tablets in as little cold water as you can get away with.
While you're waiting, pop the lemon juice and honey in a mug, add boiling water (leave a little room for the aspirin-water) and stir well.  While waiting for the aspirin to dissolve completely, take some comforting sips!

(If you can't take aspirin for any reason, make it up without and use it to swallow what you can have.  It is lovely and comforting anyway.)

Pour the aspirin into the honey and lemon drink, sit down, wrap your fleece around yourself and continue to enjoy.  Much cheaper than 'cold cure' medications and just as helpful!  I wondered why honey is so soothing so Googled around and found this.
  • Honey contains antioxidant, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties that fight against the virus, bacteria, and fungus to treat the cold and its underlying symptoms.
  • It helps to soothe a sore or scratchy throat naturally and relieves irritation.
  • It boosts the immune system, which reduces the severity of cold and also prevents future colds and other viruses.
I have absolutely no idea if it is true but it sounds good, doesn't it?

You could add ginger or whatever else to the mix if you want, a la Jack!  You could use a fresh lemon and squeeze - I bet the zest would add a little zing too.  I didn't bother and I bet most folk wouldn't when they're feeling rough and just want some relief!!



2 comments:

  1. Joy I think there is only one truism with colds and that is a treated cold last for two weeks and an untreated cold lasts a fortnight. Whatever makes you feel good is great and yes honey is as good as any cough syrup and cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you, Diane.
    Jx

    ReplyDelete