Thursday 28 May 2015

Frugal: soft cheese

I got this recipe from Faith Archer's blog 'Much More with Less' and she got it from Ceri Jones' blog 'Natural Kitchen Adventures' (scroll down to find it).  It is a very easy way of making a soft cheese using natural yogurt.

I won't reproduce the ingredients or the method as it is only one click away.  Well worth a look.

I made this yesterday and it was dead easy.  The cheese that results is soft and fresh tasting and very delicious.  I wouldn't call it cream cheese because I used skimmed long life to make the yogurt but next time I will use full fat long life and see if it makes a difference.

Suffice it to say, as I said on my diary blog, I won't be buying much soft cheese from now on, I will be making it as it is so very easy and way more frugal than even the supermarket value soft cheese when I use my own home made yogurt.  Using supermarkey 'value' yogurt, it is still better value.

Now all I have to do is find out what to do with the whey!  I wondered about bunging it is my next bread dough.
Any ideas?

6 comments:

  1. It should be fairly acid and would be useful for soda bread in lieu of buttermilk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - now that's good news. I always make soda bread when a friend visits as she can't have normal bread. I shall measure and freeze it for then and it will save me having to get that buttermilk! Thanks, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use the whey to make lactofermented vegetables if you like the sour tangy taste of say sauerkraut - very healthy and frugal as well since it helps the veggies keep longer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never come across that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh this sounds like something i want to try - thanks very much x x x

    ReplyDelete