Sunday 1 March 2015

Soda bread

I've posted this before and I am sure I will post again.  I'm making some loaves in preparation for a friend visiting so thought I would share again.

Ingredients
170g SR flour
170g plain flour (can be wholemeal or white)
half tsp bicarb
half tsp salt
a little butter to rub in (optional)
290 mls buttermilk (or whatever the pot holds and make it up with milk or yogurt)

Method
Heat the oven to 200C/gas 6

Mix the flours, salt and bicarb in a bowl
Make a well and add the buttermilk, mixing quickly with a fork to make a soft dough.
Knead briefly on a floured surface.
(or let your Thermomix do it all)
Shape into a ball, flatten by pressing down the top and cut or press a cross in the centre

Place on a lightly floured baking tray (I use a teflon liner) or you can use bread tins for a more conventional loaf shape.

Place a bowl of boiling water in the bottom of the oven and bake the loaf for around 30 mins until it sounds hollow when the base is tapped
Cool and either eat quickly or wrap and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment