Sunday 29 June 2014

Chickpea patties

It has been absolutely ages since last I posted.  I'm extremely sorry about that and I guess all my readers have given up and gone away.  I do intend to carry on with this blog and I have to accept that it will be seasonal (school seasonal)!

Anyway, I made these last weekend and they were really nice.  Beth has asked me to make more for freezing so it much be a goody.  However - another apology alert - it isn't mine, I found it on the internet but I can't find it again to give credit.  Please, please, if by chance it is your recipe or if you know where it can be found, would you let me know asap?  Thanks

The original recipe didn't have the flour, egg and breadcrumb bit but it worked so well . . .

The Thermomix way

Ingredients:
4 pieces of day old bread (2 for the patties and two for the outer breadcrumbs) - I just used a hunk!
1 tsp parsley or to your own taste.  I guess you could use other leafy herbs instead.
2og not parmesan (value italian hard cheese)
1 clove of garlic or equivalent in cheats version
half an onion, peeled and halved
400g can of chickpeas
2 eggs
10g oil plus more for frying
plain flour
seasonings

Method
Zizz the bread in the bowl until it has crumbed.  Remove half of it.

Place in the cheese and the parsley and zizz again on speed 7 for around 8 seconds.  Set that aside.

Add the onion and the garlic to the bowl and blitz on 7 for around five seconds.  Scrape down.

Add 10g oil and cook at 100 for four minutes, speed 2, pushing the mix down from time to time if needed (I did).

Add the bread/cheese/parsley mix, the chickpeas, one egg and seasonings of choice (I added pepper and just a little salt because the cheese contains salt) and blitz on speed 8 until mixture is well combined and the texture you want.  ***

I then put the mixture in the fridge, covered, overnight.  I think that helped the flavours to develop.

Divide the mix into eight pieces, shape each piece into a patty and dip in flour, then the second egg, beaten, then in the breadcrumbs.

Fry in a shallow pan until golden brown and cooked through.  Drain on a paper towel and serve.


I'm making these again and next time I will use dried chickpeas and cook them in my slow cooker.  They have a very much better flavour and are incomparably better value, making the dish much more frugal, despite the two eggs.  I haven't costed it out but it's got to be reasonable value.

And when my chillies are red, I might add some of them too for a bit of zing!

The normal way
I've added  a bit more for the conventional method:
Zizz the bread in a processor, take half out, add the cheese and parsley and zizz until finely crumbed.  Take out and reserve.

Zizz the onion, then heat some oil in a fruing pan and saute the onion and garlic puree.

When soft, put back in the zizzer, add the bread/cheese/parsley mix, the chickpeas, one egg and seasonings.  Blitz until the desired texture.
Then follow the instructions from ***


No comments:

Post a Comment