Tuesday 25 March 2014

Recipe: sticky turkey and orange stir fry

I made this over the weekend and had it with home made pasta which was almost thin enough to look like noodles!  Not a lot of difference really, is there?  (don't shoot me, Diane!)

It was very nice indeed although I would make adjustments, not the least of which would be to remember the garlic and ginger!!  I added it later to the leftovers and it made a big difference.
The broccoli was from the garden - yum!
I would also have some orange segments in the mix, added at the last moment.  To avoid using a second orange, maybe use lemon or lime juice in the marinade instead (or open a mini carton of oj).
I used ordinary oil, partly because I just did but parly because I discovered that most of my cheffy oils were shockingly out of date (years out, not just a few months - ooops).
Next time I will use thickening granules, not cornflour.  I prefer the texture of the resulting sauce.
I didn't add spring onions because I didn't have any, I used red onion instead.

Despite all that, or maybe because of, it was delicious and I will make it again.  Here's the original recipe.

Sticky turkey and orange stir fry

Ingredients
2 tbsp soy sauce
finely grated rind and juice of 1 large orange
2 tbsp runny honey
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
450g British turkey escalopes, cut into strips
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
175g broccoli, cut into small florets
2 large red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 tbsp each sesame oil and sunflower oil
2 tsp each minced garlic and ginger
4 spring onions, sliced
1 tbsp cornflour

Method
In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, orange rind and juice, honey and mustard. Stir in the turkey and set aside.

Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan and stir-fry the carrots and broccoli for 3 minutes over a high heat. Remove the turkey with a slotted spoon and add to the wok [reserving the remaining marinade]. Add 2 tbsp water, the minced garlic and ginger, spring onion and red pepper to the wok and stir fry for 4 minutes.


Mix the cornflour with the reserved marinade to a smooth sauce, pour over the turkey mixture and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until the broccoli is tender and the sauce thickened to a glaze. Serve with noodles or rice.

Edited to add I have just seen a comment from Marianne who, I think, is a new reader with a fairly new Thermomix.  Hi, Marianne, welcome.  I hope to see you again in here and that you are loving your Tmx as much as I am!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment