Thursday 2 January 2014

Recipe: cheese, ham and potato bake: leftovers

Hmm - well, I don't think I could call this frugal in any way, nor is it particularly 'healthy', but it does use up leftovers and it's totally scrummy. Great for a wet, cold and windy day.
The leftovers in this case were the ham, the cheese and the cream.  Amounts are just to common sense really, they're not that crucial..

Cheese, Ham and Potato Bake
Baking in Handy Andy . . .
and on the plate. 










Ingredients: (to serve two)
one large cooked  potato (I jacketed it in Handy Andy (my halogen oven) until it was just soft, then took off the skin), sliced
half a small onion, thinly sliced
one or two mushrooms, finely chopped
some cooked ham, shredded or cut into strips
some cream, either single or double (I used double because that's what I had)
some salt and pepper
some finely grated cheddar
some dots of butter

Method.
Soften the onion and mushroom in a little butter
Grease an ovenproof dish with butter or oil.
Layer some of the sliced potato to cover the bottom of the dish.  Sprinkle over a little salt and pepper.
Spread the onion and mushroom over the potato, then do the same with the ham.
Pour over some cream and then add some grated cheese.
Add another later of potato, salt and pepper, then spread over the rest of the grated cheese, pour over some more cream and finally dot the top with butter.

I cooked this in my halogen oven on 160C for about 40 mins and served it with steamed sprouts and broccoli.  Very tasty and I had some for dinner and the rest will do for this evening.

You could make it with leftover veg, leftover turkey, lots of stuff.  And you could use milk instead of cream (wouldn't be so gorgeous though).


No comments:

Post a Comment