Wednesday 1 May 2013

Recipe: butter bean burgers

This was so delicious, I just had to share.   I had the burger with lettuce under it and some red cabbage coleslaw topping in in a home made half and half roll and it tastes just so good!  I'm very glad I have another one for another day!
To cook it, I just brushed both sides with oil and gently fried in a non stick pan until the outside was crunchy.   I was a very soft burger and I had to turn it carefully

Definitely one to do again.


Butter bean burgers

Ingredients: to make two burgers
1/2
of a 100g of butterbeans, weighed raw, soaked and cooked
9p
knob
butter from allowance
-
40g
onion, finely chopped
2p
60g
yellow pepper, finely chopped
18p
half a stick
celery (an inner rib), finely chopped
2p
26g
second day bread. grated (or zizzed) from allowance
-

small squidge garlic puree
2p

salt, pepper, lemon juice, spices to taste
5p
1 tbsp
oil for brushing over before cooking
6p

Total cost, excluding allowances
Cost per burger
44p
22p

Method
Place the butter, onions, yellow pepper and celery in a saucepan and sauté slowly until the vegetables are softening, stirring occasionally.
Add the garlic puree and continue to sauté for another few minutes.
Add any spices you want to use – I used a pinch of mild chilli powder and a pinch of ground coriander.  Stir well.

While the vegetables are sautéing, put the butter beans into a bowl and mash with a fork, aiming for a crushed but not smooth texture.  Mix in the breadcrumbs.
When the vegetables are soft, add them to the mix and stir well.  Add the lemon juice and any other seasonings wanted – salt, pepper, etc, to taste.

Shape into two burgers, wrap and chill until needed.  I used my burger press and had no problems with the mixture falling apart.

Brush over with oil and cook in a pan.  Serve in a bread roll (if wanted) with wedges or a side salad (or both!)

Absolutely delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I meant to say before now how delicious this looks and sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I ate the second one yesterday and intend to make some more. Really delicious!

    J x

    ReplyDelete