Wednesday 13 February 2013

Yorkshire pud

This is the bog-standard Yorkshire Pudding recipe, as described by Delia on her web site.

I seem to have developed a taste for Yorkshire pudding and, as it was Shrove Tuesday, aka pancake day yesterday, I decided to make a batter and use it for a bigger single Yorkshire, like a bowl or steep sided 'plate', into which I piled some of the left over beef and gravy from Sunday.  Not your usual pancake, I admit, but, my goodness, it was so delicious!

So this was the recipe.  As I said, nothing unusual, but I used beef dripping this time and it does enhance a Yorkshire pud no end.


3 oz (75 g) plain flour
 1 egg
 3 fl oz (75 ml) milk
 2 fl oz (55 ml) water
 2 tablespoons beef dripping
 salt and freshly milled black pepper

Add the dripping to whatever you are going to use to cook the pudding.  Place in a hot oven 
Add the egg to the flour and mix, then the milk, seasonings and enough of the water to make a batter.  Beat briefly - it doesn't take too long.
When the dripping is very hot, remove the dish from the oven and quickly pour in the batter (or as much as you want to use, depending on the size of your container), and quickly replace in the oven.  It takes about 25 to 30 mins to cook.

Then pile into the pudding (put it on a warmed plate) the hot meat and gravy and any veg you want and eat straight away while the pudding is still crunchy and crisp.  It's so delicious.

And yes, I forgot to take a photo.  Sorry!


No comments:

Post a Comment