Tuesday 19 February 2013

Potato soup update.

The original is here.
You can also link to a video clip.

It was absolutely delicious.  I have made note of the few changes I made.

The ingredients (my version):
half an onion, chopped
two bacon medallions
some goose fat (not a lot)
250g peeled and chopped potato - I used King Edwards and it definitely needs a good flavoured floury potato
chicken stock made up to 500mls (I fear I used a powder - real stock would be better)
pepper - I didn't add any salt because of the bacon and it was fine and I used black pepper because I didn't have any white pepper.
1 small bay leaf

To garnish:
dollop of Greek Yoghurt
some grated cheese (potato and cheese is a flavour combi made in heaven)
strips of the bacon

Method
Fry the bacon in goose fat.
Remove the bacon.
Add the chopped onions and fry gently until soft and translucent.



Add remaining cooking ingredients, bring to a boil and summer until the potato is just breaking up (see how lean the bacon was - that's why I had to add the goose fat and I'm so glad I did)


Remove the bacon and the bay leaf.  Push through a mouli (or zizz, but don't over-zizz), then reheat thoroughly.
Ladle into a warm bowl, garnish and serve.  I used grated parmigiano reggiano, a dollop of Greek yoghurt and the bacon cut into thin strips.
It was delicious - and I have more for today's lunch!  Yessssss . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment